Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Beating the Drum

Sunday February 2, 2014

After many inches of snow and cold days, the weather finally broke enough for me to get out and wet a line.  I was slowly going crazy not being able to fish, constantly waiting, watching and hoping for warmer days to come.  The weekend looked decent enough, although the water conditions were not favorable enough to get out and hunt the bass that I so desperately wanted to catch.  So, in turn, I headed to Rudee Inlet in hopes of hooking up with whatever would be so kind enough to take my bait.  I had heard that the puppy drum were biting and off we went.  I had a quick 4 hour trip Saturday afternoon with my trusted fishing companion Brandon that yielded us 3 drum and we decided with a 60 degree day on the horizon that we should give it a shot again.  We loaded up and head out this time with my dad in tow as well.
Brandon on Saturday

One from Saturday















Once we got to our spot we knew it would be a good day.  I landed fish on cast number 2 and 3 of the day and with in the first 15 minutes each one of us had at least one fish netted and in the boat.  Four hours laters we had amassed what we totaled to be 63 drum.  Most 22-26 inches long from 3.5 to 7 pounds.  I couldn't have asked for a more fun and enjoyable time on the water.  I don't know a fisherman alive that could complain about the day that we had.  The only thing I wish was that they were all bass.

With regrets I failed to take the GoPro out with me so picture from the phone is all I have to attest to our success and of course the word of the 2 guys on board with me.


The first one of the day
Brandon with a nice puppy drum


Dad happy to be catch some fish


Until next time....


Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. That was just this past Saturday?! MAN! Awesome job! Nice fish, too! I won't ask the obvious question of what they were hitting on. I know that's a secret! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nerf, Sunday was the better of the two days but we did catch fish both days. We landed 3 on saturday and somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 on Sunday. I was using a natural color 3" jig. Working it slow on the bottom.

      Delete
  2. Caleb, you're putting me to shame. I can't even get out let alone catch those beauties. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie,
      Sometimes you just happen to be in the right place at the right time. It was truly an enjoyable trip.

      Delete