Friday, November 29, 2013

Ice Fishing

Friday November 29, 2013

I am not much of a Black Friday shopper.  I believe that in 30 years of life I have made only one purchase on Black Friday and it was a tv for myself.  With that being said I saw this as a great opportunity to go out and try and find some fish.  The weather was predicted to be in the 40's with a winds out of the N NW at 10-15.  I decided to get an early start with my pops as usual.  I just love being on the water early.  Today that may not have been the best idea.  As we rode over the West Neck bridge this morning to my shock the entire creek was iced over.  We decided to ride up to the ramp and take a closer look.

We saw one other really smart truck in the parking lot that appeared to beat us to the idea of heading out in the ice.  My dad and I looked at each other and said what the heck we are already here, never been ice fishing before.

It was a slow needless to say.  We headed to the bridge first since this was the only visible spot that had no ice on the surface to make a cast.  It was so cold that on the retrieve ice was forming on the eyelits of my rod.

We try to find clear open water and deep water and tried North Landing channel as well as the Pocaty but not a tap, nibble or bite on anything that we were presenting the fish.  After some more debating we decided to head back up to West Neck to give it a shot.  We passed fellow blogger and fishing enthusiast Charlie at the bridge. He appeared to have just made it out and thanked us for breaking the ice to make it easier to for his paddle out.  The north side of the bridge offered us the same result as everywhere else, nothing.  About 1130 we made our way south again to call it a day when I decide to throw on one more point that I have had some success in the past.  It was in this last location that I got my first bite and the only fish to avoid the skunk.  I picked up this 12 in beauty on a black and blue jig with a chigger craw crazy legs trailer.  It was a very light bite on a slow slow presentation.


It was a learning experience as the cold water and cold weather is setting in.  Middle of the day from now on will most likely be best or waiting til the warm weather sets in.  Neverless a slow day fishing beats anything else I could have spent the day doing.

Until next time.....


2 comments:

  1. I saw you guys out yesterday. I was the other guy in a kayak besides Charlie. Glad you guys boated something! I jumped on the "skunk bomb" for all of us! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure was crowded out there for such a cold day. Keep that jig & pig working all winter. It will produce.

    ReplyDelete