Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Still Drummin'

February 9, 2014
After a week about thinking fighting drum, and with the threat over more nasty weather on the horizon the choice to take the boat out was an easy one to make.  Loaded up and headed out with my normal partner on board along with a buddy DJ who wanted to see if he could get on the drum action.  I had heard that there were still some drum in the area and people had been landing a few, but got a report from one friend that Saturday he only caught one.  My expectations were mixed as we pulled off the ramp at Rudee Inlet and headed out.

It didn't take long again to find the pattern and what they wanted.  Like last Sunday I had 2 fish in my first few cast.  I tried different lures, colors, and sizes this time to see if the fishing was just really good or we had stumbled onto something.  My findings were that they preferred the smaller 3" baits and more natural colors have produced better than the opposite.  We finished up with another fantastic day of fishing.  I finished with boating 30, I believe Brandon and DJ had 25 and 11 respectively.  Which if my math and our count is correct that is 66 drum that saw my boat on Sunday.  I would say that is a good day!

It is really difficult to complain about fishing that is this good, but as Brandon and I discussed afterwards we would both trade a good day bass fishing for a great day drum fishing anytime. I guess that we are both truly bass fisherman at heart.   I have caught close to 60 drum myself over the course of the past two weekends, but I have yet to catch bass this year.  My itch to fish has been scratched for the time being, but that inner desire to fight a largemouth is beginning to well up deep from within.

Until next time...







1 comment:

  1. Nice going. You definitely have that drum thing down pat.

    ReplyDelete