Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Salute to our Vets

November 11, 2013
As a grandson of two amazing men whom both served in the United States Navy for 20+ years each Veteran's Day is one that sits close to my heart.  It is an amazing sacrifice to put yourself on the line for the freedoms we so often take for granted.  To all of the men and women out there who serve or have served I thank you and your families to the service that you give.  You are the backbone of this great nation and I salute you.

Like planned I set out for West Neck again, this time my good buddy Brandon in tow.  We got to the ramp as the first boat to launch just as the sun was peaking over the tree tops.  Once again the air was cool and crisp.  The wind was laid down and calm to start the morning and there was a slight fog rising over the water.  There is something incredible about setting out during this time of day, it is and always will be my favorite time to fish.

The day started off hot for me again as I put two in the boat within the first 30 minutes. I landed both on an X-Rap Fire Tiger. I went out to try and find the school again but of course that was unsuccessful.  So after a bit we motored up and headed for the Pocaty. The more I fall in love with the sport of fishing, the more I read, listen, and learn about the techniques and tactics that make you a successful fishermen.  I say all that to say I am intrigued by this creek.  As you head up creek you come across a nice channel that runs anywhere from 6-10 feet deep with a steep ledge that rises to 2-3 feet close the bank.  I feel that with the fall and winter patterns of fish moving up to the shallows to feed and back to deeper water this should set up for a nice place.  I didn't disappoint today!

The bite started early and stayed fairly steady until about 1030.  I had a limit in the boat by 900 and had seven bass in the boat by 1030.  Brandon had added 3 bass and a pickerel in the same time.  My bait of choice was my War Eagle Spinner in Sexy Shad with double willow blades gold and silver.  My luck changed when I unexpectedly lost this bait.  The fish seem to really love it.  Always remember to retie you baits especially after a few fish and when throwing in heavy cover.

The bite slowed down after this and we only boated three more bass between then and 230 before we pulled the boat out of the water.  In total for the day I had 8 bass with the only one I felt like weighing coming in at 1.9 most were in the 1 lb range with one really little guy.  Brandon ended up with 5 bass and one pickerel.  All and all not a bad day, really beginning to enjoy my fall days at West Neck.

Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment